If a heat exchanger's integrity has been compromised, which might allow dangerous combustion fumes to infiltrate the air supplied to the building, QwikDetector® offers a clear and quick indicator.
- Easy to Use
- Immediate Leak Indication
- Environmentally Friendly
- Formulated strictly for use by Licensed Professionals.
- Get access to exterior surfaces of the heat exchanger, by removing the necessary panels.
- If necessary, temporarily by-pass the cover safety interlock switch only for the duration of the test.
- Set thermostat for burner ignition. The induced draft blower pulls the combustion chamber to a reduced pressure. This will allow QwikDetector® to pass through any cracks and flow into the combustion chamber.
- Spray QwikDetector® on the exterior surfaces of the heat exchanger while observing the flame color. If the flame color changes to orange while spraying there is a leak in the heat exchanger, since the QwikDetector® is getting through defects in the heat exchanger and altering the combustion. This is a potentially hazardous condition and must be corrected immediately or the furnace disabled. If no color change is observed, proceed to step # 6.
- Optional Step: If a leak is discovered, you can remove the heat exchanger, and fill it with water to clearly demonstrate the leak to the equipment owner. Alternatively, you can show the equipment owner the color change in the flame and explain how their heat exchanger is leaking, as demonstrated by the color change of the flame.
- If a bypass was installed in step 2, it should be removed at this time. Check for proper operation of the safety interlock device.
- Replace the cover on the Indoor fan compartment and check the system for proper operation.
: QwikDetector® provides a clear and immediate indication if the integrity of the heat exchanger has been damaged which could allow hazardous combustion gasses to enter into the air supplied to the building. If a leak is discovered, do not return the furnace to service.